Something to give thanks for

Today was Thanksgiving. I am in Mal Pais, Costa Rica and I didn't feel like it was Thanksgiving because I am not in the American setting. Yes there are Americans here but no turkey and no pilgrim decorations everywhere with big signs advertising Thanksgiving day specials and sales and such. No vacation days from work.

Anyway, Danielle my cousin planned a Thanksgiving feast at Da Monkey. We got a turkey from out of town shipped in and made mashed potatoes and stuffing and green beans wrapped in bacon and carrot cake, apple crisp, squash soup, rolls and salad. Exactly what it should be. She spent days preparing and I helped her cook the turkey and beef roast. All day we prepared food and the house smelled as it should. At that moment I felt Thanksgiving.

Tonight I had to work and I served this 4 course meal to everyone who came to our bar for a turkey dinner. I smelled the food and watched as people ate and busily served drinks and food. I hadn't eaten a bite. I closed at 11:30pm and still had nothing to eat. I was disappointed with my day of thanks and felt thankful for nothing at the end of the night. I smoked some cigarettes as my thanksgiving meal.

Is it weird that I expect to be with family and cook all day and watch football and then eat so much food I am sick and lay on the couch drinking some wine in a food coma? Isn't this how it should be? But because I expected this I have been disappointed.

Today I did not think of anything I was thankful for. But now, as I lay in bed at 3:30am I will try to think of some things to give thanks for.

My friends. They are there for me when I need to talk and I can tell them anything. They make me feel good.

My family. I know they love me and they are supportive of my sometimes seemingly aimless wanderings.

My life. I am fortunate enough to be able to travel and learn new things and meet cool people and be happy.

That's all I want. I just want to be happy. Is that so hard? Doesn't everyone want to be happy?

So far in the month I have been in Costa Rica I have not found happiness. This is strange for a few reasons. People have told me that Costa Ricans are the happiest people in the world. When I came into the airport in San Jose a big sign told me just that with a bunch of people at a bar drinking. Their slogan is Pura Vida meaning pure life. I am living in a small beach tourist town where one would think stress was absent. Surfing all day, enjoying the beach.

I know I am still adjusting to my new home. And I know I should not expect things to be the same as they are in America. And I know I need to learn to help myself be less stressful and more healthy. I know.

But I am thankful after all. Thank you pilgrims and Indians.

Comments

Popular Posts