On the road again-Costa Rica to Peru

I feel out of place again. The same feeling as when I returned to America from India. I was wearing an ugly multicolored wool sweater made by Tibetans a ratty skirt and smelling of multiple strong spicy scented perfumes my friend and I sprayed on ourselves before getting on the plane in Delhi to try and mask our Indian curry chai burnin trash scent. As I got off the plane in New York and had to wait hours sitting on the floor in Penn station for my train to Pittsburgh a few days before Christmas I was watching everyone around me dressed in nice clothes and high heels with their hair done and makeup did. I felt so out of place. I felt like people were looking at me thinking I was some kind of hoodlum.

Now as I am sitting outside of the San Jose airport I feel the same sense of displacement. I woke up at 5:30am to catch a bus to the ferry and another bus to the San Jose airport. It is 1 pm and my flight doesn't leave until 6pm. I am sitting on the ground with my three bags wearing an acdc shirt with shorts and my Jesus sandals. Everyone walking around me are in nice slacks high heels and looking very professional.

Living in a beach bum town I don't have to care about makeup or my hair or any clothes or shoes for that matter. Most people are walking around in Mal Pais in their boardshorts and bikinis barefoot and dripping wet holding a surfboard. I didn't judge anyone coming into the bar with no shirt or shoes. I forgot what it was like to live in the city. The limited wardrobe I brought with me to Costa Rica might not be fitting for the city life I will be working at in Trujillo Peru! I won't be able to go to work in my bathing suit or sundress and no shoes with sand all over me. It's time for a real job I guess.

I have a 3 hour flight to Miami then a 5 hour flight to Lima then a 9 hour bus ride to Trujillo. When I show up at the bus station for the coordinator to pick me up I hope she doesn't judge me on my appearance after 2 days of traveling. Who dresses up to travel anyway?

Comments

Popular Posts