Bang bang bang!

I'm laying in bed reading myself to sleep. I usually have earplugs in, but I can never wake up early if I don't hear the chickens crowing. I would be asleep by now if all were silent, after an hour of laying in bed, a few times my iPod dimming after a minute of no touch. But tonight, there are too many sounds. Volunteers laughing and practicing snot rockets, music and slaps from a jump rope as someone works out, at 11:30pm. The burning pain in my stomach also doesnt help the process of falling into a peaceful slumber.  I am jumped wide awake as I hear a loud noise echoing very close to my home. I immediately think it's a gunshot. Volunteers always ask if the loud noises they hear at night are gunshots and I always convince them they are fireworks. I tell them I have only heard a gun once, you will know when the dogs begin barking, and the police sirens ringing soon after. Usually the noises are from fireworks.

Tonight the loud bang with echoes sounding down the street with all the street dogs barking doesn't sound like a firework. I immediately think of the volunteers who I feel are not careful enough about living in the ghetto and don't realize the danger around us. So many taxis refuse to take us to Esperanza, a low income suburb of Trujillo. They charge us extra if they do agree and spend the ride asking why we live there and telling us it's dangerous and warning us to be careful. Sometimes they will hand me the newspaper with dead people on the cover and MUERTO and ESPERANZA in bold.

I hear about all of this danger, but I have yet to witness anything myself, except one volunteers camera was stolen because she was swinging it around in her hand walking down the street. I feel like the people here respect us because we are helping the community. We offer free classes in a variety of subjects to all ages of people in our community.

When I heard a few more shots follow after, I convinced myself they must be fireworks. Too many shots to be bullets because they are expensive right? I guess fireworks are expensive too.  I didn't hear any sirens...

Comments

Popular Posts