Old Shoes

I miss the days when I was a new traveler. The first time I left home was of course for college, but that wasn't too far away. When I went to India my senior year, I was excited and scared. I was excited because I had learned a lot about the country and I was interested in the religion and the different culture and definitely the food! When I got there, I was so overwhelmed by the smells and how dirty and crowded it was. I missed my family and friends in America (or I should say United States as I have learned after being in south America people take offense when I say I am from America. "We are all from America! you are from United States!") I was so happy when I got postcards and letters from friends and family. I felt special, and I felt loved. It was fun to write back and tell everyone how different it was to live in India...and how I was always sick and didn't know how to talk to anybody, and how I had to wake up so early for meditation and eat rice for every meal. Maybe they would not understand what it was like, but it felt good to share my experience, and to have someone to whine to.

When I went to Korea I was also scared and excited. Excited because I thought I would be eating a lot of sushi and experiencing a Buddhist culture. Scared because I had no idea what Korea was like and I was going all by my lonesome. While in Korea I got letters and postcards from friends and family making sure I wasn't dead after north Korean gossip about attacks and war. It was nice to know people were interested and cared if I was still alive. There wasn't any sushi there either.

Then I went to Costa Rica. That was kind of random. And yes, I was still scared to go off on my own on another adventure. I had no idea where I was going or what to expect besides big bugs which I was not happy about.  I had a great time and had my first experience bartending which I loved. I didn't learn too much Spanish though. There was no post office there, so even though I spent Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas and New Years there I didn't receive any letters. Of course there is always Facebook so I did receive messages, but it's just not the same.

Now I am in Peru. And there is a post office here! I'm living in the third largest city in Peru and there are roads and telephones and foreign food restaurants (even a sushi one!). But I haven't received any letters!

When volunteers get letters in the mail and I hand them over, they have the same joyous look that I remembered having, so long ago! Actually, I did get a package of clothes from my dad so I can't be too whiny and pathetic. Thanks pops! But where are the postcards and letters! I guess I haven't sent any out either...

But what is this? After the third or fourth time leaving home it's no big deal and nobody cares if I survived the 4.2 earthquake?

So here is my address. There are no excuses now. Make me happy!

And just for the record, in case you were worried about my well being, I am doing fine. The weather is nice, I'm right next to the ocean but I don't go swimming because I think it is colder than the water in LA, the food is ok (I am used to eating rice for every meal by now but they do eat an exorbitant amount of potatoes) the ceviche is good and thank god they have chocolate and ice cream! It is dangerous here. There are shootings in my neighborhood and I am not allowed to walk up the mountain to the more poor areas or walk at night. So you should worry about me. And the best way to express that worry is by sending me a letter. Maybe if I sign off Facebook I would get more attention!

Comments

Popular Posts