On my way too Quinden.

Embargo la duena no podemos ir. Necesitamos cambiar el bus.

No entiendo. So I'm on this bus. Horna. We only paid 15 soles ($5) to drive 3.5 hours. Pretty cheap. I asked what the difference is between this bus and the other ones. As I'm boiling in the front panoramic view seat Braulio says this bus is cheaper because they allow venders on and so it is not as tranquillo. The other busses have food and drinks and air-conditioning. After an hour of driving and making it only 5 miles away we are stopped by the police who announce this stuff I don't understand nada. Diego is behind me and says hay un burrito. I thought ohh I want a taco and I look out the window and see a chiquitito perrito with glazed eyes and it's tongue hanging out still on the side of the road. Ohh I guess he said hay un perrito not burrito. Ahora necesitamos esperar para el nuevo bus?

Watching the good bad and ugly Korean movie on the bus and all the Peruvians are laughing. I missed Korea. It didn't feel like my home anymore. But even though I've been in Peru for 7 months it doesn't really feel like my home either. Maybe because I can't speak like I want to. Maybe because I don't have any real friends. Maybe because my life here is only my job, Horizon.  This weekend when I have my first opportunity to leave, I go to Quinden with Braulio and his family and the town is having a party and we get there after dark and go into the families house outside of town a bit and there are no lights. A candle lights a room with two beds a table with a religious display on it and some chairs around the room. When I walk in to Sylvias mom and dads house they were hesitant. Braulio did all the talking and when both him and Diego left the room I was left in silence. They asked me what my name was again and if I spoke Castellano. Me llamo Tara y hablo muy poquito Castellano. Diego, Braulio and I walked to town in the dark along the main road with trucks flying by. When we got to the small town we saw a few of Braulio's friends and family. We got some soup and tamales to eat on the street. When I pushed my rice porridge around I was surprised to find a chicken foot chillin out in there.

The band began to play. I was tired and cold and wanted to go to sleep but had to wait for everyone.

Tried to sleep in the most uncomfortable and noisy bed ever first with baby Brian then with Sylvia. Kept moving all night with mosquitos buzzing in my hear. But I  didn't get bit. The toilet is a across the street up the mountain with a curtain partially covering and a nice view of the rice fields and truckers driving by.

I ate bread with fish this morning. I drank water from the tap and I think that's gonna hurt later today. I walked around the rice fields and told Braulio I would go fishing with him. I was cold and walking through the river with my camera so I decided to head back. It's so hard to communicate with the family. I feel line a loner but I have nothing to say. Took some good pictures and relaxed and meditated a bit.

As I laid down with three others in the room we heard a noise and saw a rat climbing up the wall. Oh my god. I told Brian laying with me, don't worry ratas no le gusta la cama (rats don't like beds). After, I felt something around my feet and when I took the covers off my bead I saw the rat climb out the window.

Just watched Uncle Loco kill two sheep and a goat. He is a butcher. One of them was pregnant with two babies and he took them out and I just had to take pictures. I touched them and said a chiquitito prayer for them. I felt bad. I felt bad watching him kill it and it pooping compulsively and breaking the legs. It made me want to be a vegetarian. But I don't want to be rude. Then I watched Sylvia clean the mondongos (intestines) out in the rice canals. There was a lot of poop. I definitely dont want to eat that. Took a long time getting ready. They wanted to bathe in the river and begged me to swim. I didn't want to because it is cold. they all took a long time getting ready for the party. I almost fell asleep. Put makeup on for them. All asking vas a bailer si o si. They told me stories about another foreign fried of Braulio's who came to Quinden and danced like a monkey and they want to see me make a fool out of myself too! I didn't want to go but went because everyone did and I want to join them.  I feel like I'm up for show put on display for entertainment and I don't like that. I will do it if I want to do it not because you want me to.

Comments

Popular Posts