Birthday success!

I am now 23 years old! And 24 in Korean age. I didnt think my day of birth would be any more special than any other day...maybe because I feel lonely without family and friends here. But I was blind to the friends I have all around me, in Korea and around corners of this world. I showed up to school with swarms of kids giving me hugs like usual. But when I went to class, they all yelled, "Happy Birthday Tara Teacher!" at me and I almost cried! My director had told all of the kindergarteners it was my birthday and so they hurried up and made little folded paper gifts and shoved snacks in my mouth they pulled from their backpacks and some told me they would bring me a gift from home (these are 5 year olds). Some of them even gave me their cherished pencil boxes! I remember when I was in elementary school and had a cool Lion King pencil box...but these kids have ridiculous options! Their boxes even have games on them and dry erase boards and multiple boxes and entrances! Such a distraction in class. Anyway, the foreign teachers got me a bottle of wine (shiraz-my favorite) and a pencil sharpener. My director gave me a candle, incense holder set and the korean teachers gave me a gift certificate to a great store. Then we all got pizza and chicken wings. Except this pizza was sweet potato with ham! Great!
The best part...I went out after work to a bar called King Kong and played Risk with a bunch of guys and one other girl. We played for 5 hours!!! haha. And of course I have no patience so I was the second to lose. I asked what was wrong with my strategy and the others said I was too aggressive! hahaha, not me!!!
Overall I had a great birthday. I did not get to see my friends and family from America, or India, college or Green Valley, but I got lots of messages on Facebook that reminded me you are all still there!
Thank you for remembering me, and making me feel special on the 10th of December.
Love you all!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hahaha I love you Tara teacher, happy birthday!! <3

PS: The Little Penguin wine is so adorable, isn't it?!

Popular Posts