포커패스: Making money at the track

Yesterday, Wil and I went to a horse race...

I was very excited to see the horses. I love looking at them and watching them run. They are such beautiful animals. I love horses!

We took the subway to Joorae, hopped on a free shuttle bus, payed no entrance fee, and walked into a large building full of old men and women with their faces stuck in a book of numbers and scores. I thought it was funny to see the people so serious. They were betting. It's one of the few places in Korea where people can gamble. We had no idea how to do it. First of all we didnt have one of those books that everyone else was studying. I saw one laying open on a chair with nobody around it. Wil told me to get it, but I told him, "as a foreigner, I would draw too much attention. You do it!" He grabbed it and snuck off. The book was full of confusing numbers and symbols. Even Wil couldnt understand. Whatever, we just want to bet on a horse. "Where are the horses anyway?" I was curious what all these men and women were betting on. I didnt see any horses in sight. Except for in the middle of the track there were ponies giving little kids carriage rides.

We went to the information desk and the lady explained how to place our bets on the betting cards. We watched the screen where we saw some horses preparing for the race. The first one I picked was based on the name; Snooky blossom, or cherry doodle or something cute. We hurried to bring our cards to one of the hundreds of windows with Korean women lined up behind them taking everyones money. We watched as the horses flew out of the cages and raced around the track. But I couldnt see them on the track in front of me. "That's weird. I cant see the horses." Wil laughed. "Oh, they are not here. They are in Seoul."

My horse, Twinkle berry or something lost. Wil's horse won. He was so happy. I was jealous, but I gave him a high five and smiled. He was now up 15,000 won. I was down 2,000. Next race. I studied the horses intently, mostly watching out for their names and how pretty they were. I placed a bet on one horse for me, and one for my dad. Both lost. Wil won. Now he was bragging. "Whatever, you're taking me to dinner tonight!" I told him.

The fourth race I finally won 11,000! I was so excited! Wil didnt try hard to look happy for me. He was jealous. I was only betting on two horses each race, but Wil placed five bets. Out of twelve horses you would think he would win something!

It was the last race of the day. I was having a great time watching the old men yelling at the screen of fast horses and throwing down their pens and papers in anger in result of their bad judgement and lost money. Three minutes before the race begins, the chairs are empty and Koreans are racing to the window to place their bets. Wil and I are anticipating our winnings. I chose three horses this time. It was too difficult to decide on only two! I chose Pokerface, Machine gun and one that looked like my old dead horse that recently died because my dad didn't feed him.

Machine gun ran so fast and won me 36,000 won! Woohoo! Others didn't look so happy. Wil was noticibely upset that he didnt win and I did. I was happy to win back my lost money and make some too! I went to the window to collect my winnings. The lady ahead of me got 300,000 back. I felt inferior. Like a little kid getting my $30 allowance from mom. I guess I would be buying dinner for Wil tonight, and she would be buying new cowboy boots to wear next race.

We were feeling pretty good walking out of there. We each had made 14,000 each. We payed nothing to get there or get in. AND we made money! SWEET! Wil was already talking about how he wanted to go back the next weekend.

Of course it would have been better if there were actually horses there we could watch not just on a screen, but the day was fun and rewarding. We will definitely return again.

To get to the horse racing track in Busan:

Take subway to 주래 Joorae St. Get off at exit 8. Right near the exit there is a shuttle bus that will pick you up for free and take you to the track.

Hope you win more than you lose!

Comments

Anukul said…
Sweet. That's great that you walked out with more that you had - in terms of money. You guys are lucky! Send some gifts to your friends in the West.

Popular Posts