Cooking American food in Korea

When I lived in the small town of Yeosu last year, I craved foreign food (thats what we call anything not Korean) but I knew I had to wait until I traveled to Seoul or Busan.

                   This does not count as foreign food. It is shrimp pizza with mayo, chips and slices of potato. Oh and then you can dip your crust in jam...if you want.

But now, I live in Busan and I have a Homeplus a few minutes walk away from my house. In America, I tried to stay away from Walmart, and Homeplus is the Korean equivelant, but its the place to find foreign food and I cannot help myself. I try to frequent the ajummas who sell veggies and fruit on the street, but they dont have the good fixings I'm looking for.

My staples from Homeplus include the following with prices listed:

tortilla-10 for $5
avocado-2 for $8
celery-bunch for $3
wine-cheap bottle for $10
cheese-ball of mozz for $12 or block of cheddar for $9

I enjoy cooking my own food and I have convinced myself that it is cheaper than eating out all the time. I think I am wrong on that one, at least the way I buy food and cook. Foreign food is expensive in Korea.

Anyway I love cooking and trying new recipes. Escpecially after seeing pictures of my friends culinary creations I got jealous. Recently I made what I thought was abalone wrapped in bacon and mozzarella cheese topped with avocado. Turns out after some research it was just a large mussel. Taste was great. Fish is easy and cheap to come by here since I am a few minutes from the ocean.

For 4th of July I made fried chicken, potato salad and mini cheesecakes. Others enjoyed my food, while I enjoyed a little too much jong jong.

4th spirit...baby blue, gray, and pink.
Hyung Jong enjoying chicken and jong jong

Since then, I have made sloppy joes, zuchini bread and cupcakes. If I didnt make a silly mistake not plugging in the oven, or not greasing the dish, my food would be so much more delicious and pretty! Or if I would buy some measuring cups instead of eyeing the ingredients like Julia Child. My next feat will be french toast and scones.
Wil complained it was too salty and too much sauce!

not a proper sloppy joe

better?

Comments

Popular Posts