Phnom Penh, Cambodia

3-31-11 has she just popped into the loo? I don't understand what ur saying! I had an English girl with me for a few days coming into and in phnom penh. It is loud here sitting in an outside cafe and driving in a tuk tuk so when she talked to me I just nodded my head instead of asking repeatedly what she was saying. We booked a hotel on the fast boat from chau doc which took 6 hours and when we got to the hotel they didn't have any rooms available. So we searched for another after getting situated in our room we went off to look for dinner. We found a nice one but right on the dirty street I got an Angkor beer and some basil and beef Fried rice. The price was $4.50. The portion was small and my face was burning and I cried it was so spicy. I love spicy food but I think they made it extra hot just so they could laugh at us. The waiters couldn't speak much English but kept starring and laughing at the foreign girls crying while eating. we wAnted to go to the night market along the river but all we found was a few fruit stalls. Two cute little boys kept bugging me to buy a bracelet since I didn't have a Cambodia one yet but they wanted me to buy 4 for a dollar. My wrists are pretty full already so I bought one because I thought the boys were cute. After I bought one you'd think they would be happy and thankful but oh no. They followed us for the next 20 minutes blurting out random prices for their bracelets in annoyingly high pitched voices and stepping on the back of my flip-flops and hitting my butt purposely bugging. I grabbed one boys hand and dragged him to a security guard and made him hold his hand but he laughed and let him go. All the tuk tuk drivers watched and laughed. I wanted to grab a handful of their ugly bracelets and throw them on the ground so they would have to pick them up and we could run away and lose them. We had enough of them and couldn't find the market so we got in a tuk but the boys jumped on the back. Other tuk drivers had to pry their little fingers off the bars behind us. I put the bracelet on my ankle to signify my dislike for it without actually throwing it in the trash. Next day went to toul sleng genocide museum. Old high school turned into torture prison by pol pot and party during Cambodian revolution. 20,000 tortured there then brought to cheung ek to be beaten and thrown into mass Graves 3 million estimated dead during three years of communist party ruling. So hungry ate local peoples stall had chicken with pineapple but chicken was like leftover parts full of bone couldn't eat. Like trash pieces. 10,000. High price for local food but I think they charge extra because we are foreign. The other night with spicy food was same price for better food. Oh well. Food prices are nothing compared to high tuk prices. For a few rides around town the driver got $12 for 3 people. I am on a 6 hour bus for $5. He's eating well and having a few beers with friends tonight!

Comments

Popular Posts